Friday, January 21, 2011

Tools and Essentials - Part 2

  • If you only use three main adhesives on every layout and maybe two journaling pens, it's okay to keep those in one place or in your portable container, and then keep the rest of all your pens and refill adhesives in a closed container up on a shelf some place. I have a creamer cup that holds pens i use all the time, then other pens/markers up above [in a wine holder] on a shelf:

  • If you feel like you don't have enough space for your supplies and how you want to organize them, then think UP. Shelves above your workspace can create SO much more room. Once I installed shelving (elfa from The Container Store), I couldn't believe the extra space I created. Even if you have only one corner of a room, you can use shelves as high as your wall.
  • Underneath your work space (I'm a standing scrapper) or nearby, consider having a small basket that holds punches and/or other small tools you use often:

  • And then your deco scissors and/or border punches can be kept nearby as well:

  • I used to keep my punches (organized by shape... one container for circles, one for squares, and one for flowers/hearts/stars/etc) in these canvas bins from The Container Store. Those bins were in a row on the floor under my computer space, but still within reach. I used to have them in a closed box on a shelf, but because punches are heavy, it was more practical for me to store them down low.
  • Some people store punches in hanging shoe organizers. I do store my punches in a shoe organizer, but not how you would expect... LOL. I LOVE this method... works great for me! I have since covered each shelf with patterned paper... tee hee, but this is the "before" photo. ;-)

  • Punches.

  • I store my border punches (I only have about 6 or 7, so it works) in a vintage soda holder:

There are tons of great ideas out there! Please share what you do or what you find online for inspiration! This is one of the best discussion topics, I think!

TIP:

The Organized and Inspired Scrapbooker also suggests keeping tools hidden away in drawers or closed boxes or closets... because they are usually unsightly and can be an eye-sore to a "pretty" scrap space. I just wanted to mention this as well because not everyone organizes and stores things the same, and this may be an option you'd prefer.

4 comments:

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

Love the shoe holder idea, Reyanna!

Valerie Bishop said...

Love that you used the shoe holder for storing your punches!! And your squirt holder! I just emptied my Squirt holder and I need a new use for it - this is a great idea!!

Briana said...

The shoe holder idea is so great! I also like that you can use inexpensive items for storage. The Organized and Inspired Scrapbooker is one of my favorites! I left you some love on my blog: http://meplus2.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/spreadin-the-love/